The Battalion Commander is responsible for everything that the Battalion does or fails to do. The commander directs subordinate units through the Company Commander and the staff through the Executive Officer. Specific duties are:
- Command the Battalion at appropriate formations, such as parades and ceremonies.
- Prepare for and conduct the training of the Battalion.
- Establish a working climate within the Battalion that promotes mutual respect and confidence.
- Directly supervise the Executive Officer and Company Commander to ensure they are fully trained to perform their duties.
- Supervise the preparation and delivery of command briefings to instructors and visitors.
- Make recommendations to the PMS and APMS on all matters affecting the Battalion, such as staffing, promotions, awards, and operations.